Pneumocystis pneumonia – causes, side effects and treatments at NaturalPedia.com

Friday, June 29, 2018 by

Pneumocystis pneumonia is a type of pneumonia which is caused by an opportunistic microorganism called Pneumocystis jiroveci. It is commonly diagnosed in people who have weak immune systems which mean infants are normal victims of this disease.

This condition attacks the interstitial and alveolar tissues of the lungs and can cause lung infection.

Known risk factors and symptoms of pneumocystis pneumonia

Pneumocystis pneumonia is mostly found in people with weakened immune systems since their bodies are having a hard time fighting off infections. At least 40 percent of those diagnosed with this disease also tested positive with HIV/AIDS. Meanwhile, the remaining 60 percent of the patients are normally taking medications which also weakens the immune system.

The common symptoms of pneumocystis pneumonia are:

  • High body temperature
  • Coughing
  • Difficulty in breathing
  • Pain in the chest area
  • Chills and fatigue

Body systems affected by pneumocystis pneumonia

The following are possible complications linked to pneumocystis pneumonia:

  • Pleural effusion – Fluid in between the lungs and the chest wall.
  • Pneumothorax – Air in the space between the lungs and the chest wall.
  • Respiratory failure
  • Death

Food items or nutrients that may prevent pneumocystis pneumonia

Preventing or relieving the symptoms of pneumocystis pneumonia can be achieved by adding these to one’s diet:

  • Fruits and vegetables – These are all rich in antioxidants that greatly helps the body in fighting off infections and healing the systems from diseases. A 2010 study showed that women who consume more fruits and vegetables are less likely to develop upper-respiratory illnesses, such as pneumonia.
  • Whole grains – These contain carbohydrates which fuel the body. Grains are also good sources of selenium which is known for supporting the healthy function of the immunes system. In addition, these foods are rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants beneficial to the body. Examples of whole grains are barley, brown rice, buckwheat, bulgur, and wheat.
  • Protein-rich foods – If one avoid saturated fat, protein is actually very good for the body. It plays a vital role in repairing the tissue and boosting immune function. Lean protein can be sourced from salmon, sardines. beans, lentils, and skinless white-meat poultry.
  • Lots of fluids – In fighting pneumonia, staying hydrated is very important. Avoiding alcohol and caffeinated drinks is also vital as they can interfere with rest.

Treatments, management options for pneumocystis pneumonia

The following are natural remedies that can help in treating pneumocystis pneumonia:

  • Garlic
  • Cayenne pepper
  • Fenugreek seeds
  • Sesame seeds
  • Vegetable juice
  • Turmeric
  • Holy basil and black pepper
  • Turpentine oil
  • Oil of oregano

It is also good to try steam inhalation and if the patient is smoking, it’s best to quit. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle can also help strengthen the immune system.

Where to learn more

Summary

Pneumocystis pneumonia is a fungal infection caused by Pneumocystis jiroveci. It often victimizes people with weakened immune systems and can cause lung infection. HIV/AIDS patients are highly vulnerable to the disease, and so are people who are taking medication which causes the body to grow weak.

Symptoms of this condition include fever, cough, difficulty in breathing, chest pain, chills, and fatigue. In the event the disease is not treated accordingly, it can result in pleural effusion, pneumothorax, respiratory failure, or worse, death.

Health experts recommend high consumption of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean protein-rich foods, and fluids to prevent developing pneumocystis pneumonia.

Sources include:

Merriam-Webster.com

CDC.gov

DoveMed.com

Livestrong.com

Top10HomeRemedies.com



Comments

comments powered by Disqus