Tuesday, August 14, 2018 by Zoey Sky
Avastin is a cancer medicine that inhibits the growth and spread of cancer cells in the body. The drug is used to treat a specific type of brain tumor.
Additionally, Avastin is used to treat certain types of cancers of the cervix, colon, fallopian tube, kidney, lung, ovary, or rectum. Avastin is also used to treat cancer of the membrane that lines the internal organs in the abdomen.
The drug may be given as part of a combination of cancer medicines.
Avastin’s generic name is bevacizumab, and its other brand names include Mvasi.
Known health risks or side effects of Avastin
Avastin may cause side effects such as:
- Appetite loss, diarrhea
- Back pain
- Changes in your sense of taste
- Cold symptoms (e.g., sneezing, a sore throat, or a stuffy nose)
- Dry or flaky skin, hair loss
- Dry or watery eyes
- Jaw pain, swelling, numbness, loose teeth, gum infection
- A mild headache
You may require immediate medical attention if you experience severe side effects such as:
- Blood in urine or stools, vomit that looks like blood or coffee grounds
- Body aches, chills, fever, flu symptoms, sores in the mouth and throat
- A burning sensation or pain when urinating, loss of bladder or bowel control
- Chest pain or a heavy feeling, general ill feeling
- Confusion; problems with balance, speech, or vision; a severe headache; sudden numbness or weakness
- Easy bruising; unusual bleeding in the mouth, nose, rectum, or vagina; purple or red pinpoint spots under the skin; or any bleeding that won’t stop
- Foamy-looking urine
- Missed menstrual periods
- Ongoing vaginal discharge, itching, or other irritation
- Pain, swelling, warmth, or redness in one or both legs
- Puffy eyes, swelling in the arms, legs, or stomach
- Rapid weight gain, urinating less than usual or not at all
- Severe stomach pain accompanied by constipation, fever, and vomiting
- Very high blood pressure accompanied by symptoms like anxiety, blurred vision, buzzing in the ears, confusion, a seizure, a severe headache, shortness of breath, or uneven heartbeats
- A wound that won’t heal
List of organs that might be affected by Avastin
An overdose of Avastin may cause complications like a severe headache or an allergic reaction. Signs of an allergic reaction may include difficulty breathing; hives; or the swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Food items or nutrients that have similar effects to Avastin
The following foods or nutrients have similar effects to Avastin:
- Black pepper – Black pepper contains piperine, a natural chemical compound that has potent antioxidant properties. Pepper can help inhibit the growth of cancerous stem cells of breast tumors.
- Garlic – Garlic can help prevent stomach cancer since it contains organosulfur compounds. These compounds can strengthen the immune system and fight cancer.
- Turmeric – Turmeric has curcumin, a potent anti-inflammatory. Cancer tumors have a network of blood vessels that keep them alive, and curcumin can work against these blood vessels, which can kill cancer cells.
Treatment and management options for the side effects of Avastin
The following treatments and management options can help prevent the side effects associated with Avastin:
- Castor oil – Castor oil can help treat loss of taste and smell. It has anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, and antioxidant properties that can help keep the nasal passages clear. Apply a drop of warm castor oil in each nostril every morning and before going to bed.
- Lemon – Lemons have a citrus flavor and scent that can help restore your sense of taste and smell. Mix the juice of one lemon and two teaspoons of honey in a glass of warm water. Drink the mixture twice a day.
- Omega-3 fatty acids – Supplements or dietary sources of omega-3 fatty acids can help minimize the symptoms of dry eye. Sources include anchovies, flax seeds, salmon, and sardines.
Where to learn more
Avastin is a cancer medicine that inhibits the growth and spread of cancer cells in the body.
Common side effects of Avastin include appetite loss, diarrhea, and back pain.
An overdose of Avastin may cause complications like severe headaches or an allergic reaction.
Black pepper, garlic, and turmeric have similar effects to Avastin.
Castor oil, lemon, and omega-3 fatty acids can help prevent the side effects associated with Avastin.