Tuesday, August 07, 2018 by Zoey Sky
Abelcet, or amphotericin B lipid complex, is an antifungal antibiotic that is used to treat a variety of severe fungal infections. The drug is usually administered to patients who are unable to tolerate or cannot respond to the regular amphotericin treatment. Abelcet helps stop the growth of fungi.
Abelcet is also known by other brand names like Ambisome and Amphotec.
Known health risks or side effects of Abelcet
After one or two hours, Abelcet can cause side effects such as:
- Appetite loss
- A headache
- Shortness of breath/fast breathing
List of organs that might be affected by Abelcet
Abelcet may cause the following complications:
- An allergic reaction – Signs include blistered or peeling, red, and swollen skin (with or without fever); hives; itching; rash; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or wheezing.
- Electrolyte problems – Signs include an abnormal heartbeat, appetite loss, confusion, mood changes, muscle pain or weakness, seizures, or a very bad upset stomach/throwing up.
- Kidney problems – Signs include being unable to pass urine, blood in the urine, change in how much urine is passed, or significant weight gain.
- Liver problems – Signs include appetite loss, dark-colored urine, feeling tired, light-colored stools, throwing up, an upset stomach or stomach pain, or yellow skin or eyes.
Food items or nutrients that have similar effects to Abelcet
The following foods or nutrients have similar effects to Abelcet:
- Ginger – Ginger can help reduce fever. It’s also a natural antiviral and antibacterial agent that can help the immune system fight various infections. Make ginger tea by adding half a teaspoon of freshly grated ginger to a cup of boiling water. Let the mixture steep for a few minutes then add some honey. Drink ginger tea three or four times a day.
- Raisins – Raisins can also help the body fight infections and reduce fevers. They have phenolic phytonutrients which possess antibacterial and antioxidant properties. Soak 25 raisins in half a cup of water for one hour or until the raisins soften. Crush the soaked raisins in the water and strain the mixture. Add the juice of half a lime to the mixture. Drink the mixture twice a day until your fever is gone.
Treatment and management options for the side effects of Abelcet
The following foods or nutrients can help prevent the side effects associated with Abelcet:
- Apple – Apples contain fiber that can help eliminate nausea-inducing chemicals from your system.
- Avocados – Rich in vitamins, avocados also contain minerals and healthy fats that can reduce inflammation. Avocados can also stimulate the immune system.
- Banana – A banana can help treat nausea accompanied by dehydration. You can also eat a banana if you’ve been throwing up. The fruit can help restore potassium, which can be depleted due to diarrhea and vomiting.
- Honey – Honey has antibacterial properties and it can and stimulate the immune system. Additionally, honey can help relieve coughing in children older than 12 months.
- Mint – Chewing on a sprig of mint can help treat nausea.
Where to learn more
Abelcet, or amphotericin B lipid complex, is an antifungal antibiotic that is used to treat a variety of severe fungal infections.
After one or two hours, Abelcet can cause side effects such as appetite loss, chills, dizziness, fever, and flushing.
Abelcet may cause complications like an allergic reaction, electrolyte problems, kidney problems, and liver problems.
Ginger and raisins have similar effects to Abelcet.
Apples, avocados, bananas, honey, and mint can help prevent the side effects associated with Abelcet.